Thursday, October 12, 2006

Tale From A Homeless

While standing outside Po Na Na I was approached by a familiar homeless lady. She has a nice Scottish accent and always wishes you well if you don't decline her request for spare change. See, she's not a passive beggar sitting on the floor, she walks around as people exit the club and asks them for change.

Anyway, I find it hard no to talk to the homeless. Their stories are at least 5 times more interesting than anyones who ownes a home. This lady, I will call her Claire because we've never exchanged names, was telling me about the events of her last week.

She'd just been up to Glasgow, her home town. Glasgow isn't a pleasant place. There's a lot of crime there, and a high homicide rate. You know the deal. As it happens, her "parter" had been incarcerated Barlinnie prison. Apparently a very corrupt place, just look at Governer Bill McKinlay, I've never seen a man I distrust more from just a headshot. Anyway, that's not important, I'm sure Bill is a very nice man. Claire's partner had just served his 4 year sentence and was being held at a probation house. Hooray for him!

Claire's partner was sick of prison and sick of crime, or so Claire said. So from now on, he was on the straight and narrow. Crime doesn't pay et cetera... So when his assigned room mate and ex-drug addict/dealer asked to borrow some money, Claire's parter stood his damn ground. "No way, you're going to spend it on drugs. I don't want to be involed." He probably said.

After a heated argument, his room mate pretended to understand. An uneasy truce, especially in a Glasgow Probation House, right? Normally, this is not the time or place to leave your drink unattended. But hey, there's no way you can get any poison inside those gates. Or at least, not very easily. Either way, the room mate didn't need posion.

When Claire's partner went to the bathroom his drink was spiked with liquid paracetamol. Which he was allergic to. He choked and died.

The weird thing is about that kind of culture, there was no way that the killer would ever have gotten away with it. In fact, I don't believe he intended to. But he'd just got out of prison and he was so willing to send himself back inside. Claire had just been up to Glasgow to bury her partner. She's going up again today for the trial. They say there's so much DNA evidense that the killer doesn't stand a chance.

It must suck to be a homeless lady with a dead ex-criminal for a lover. It's a shame too, that I don't own the proper tone of voice to deal with people who have been through something like this . I replied along the lines of "...*sigh* Dammit."

I hope I see her next week, she said she'd tell me what happens.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mishuki said...

I didn't read this one, but I'm sorry coz it was interesting. Although it was a bit sad.

Did you meet her again? Maybe I'll find out as I wend my back up to the top. Maybe you did, but didn't post about it because nobody commented the first time

It was long and had the word 'homeless' in the title - doesn't sell, see

2:39 PM  
Blogger Hamish said...

I know!

They didn't even give it a chance.

And no, I haven't seen her yet.

2:44 PM  
Blogger teigan said...

Well, give her my wishes when you do, she sounds nice

I never give money to homeless people, but i talk to them sometimes

They're often interesting

2:52 PM  
Blogger Hamish said...

Many are liars, but they have little to gain after you give them money.

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home